Yom Hashoah Resources
Actualizing the Commitment to Memory
As long as we live
They too shall live
For they are a part of us
As we remember them.
-From the Yom Kippur Yizkor service
The world stands at the threshold of the first generation that will not know Holocaust survivors. This is the moment to ensure the continuity of remembrance. You have an important role to play in helping this happen.
Remember Us: The Holocaust Bnai Mitzvah Project has worked successfully for the past five years on transferring the legacy of remembrance. This generational transmission honors the memories of the lost and empowers the young Jews who step up at this historic moment.
The Remember Us concept is very straightforward: we invite each child who is preparing for bar/bat mitzvah to remember one child who was lost in the Holocaust before having the opportunity to be called to the Torah, and to act in his/her name. Participation is non-denominational, simple, and free.
All children and teens who accept the legacy of Holocaust memory are becoming the guarantors of communal memory. Yizkor & Yom Hashoah is organizing this concept into a wide-spread community-based initiative. Specifically, we are working with:
- Clergy and educators to arrange Yom Hashoah participation by their students
- Young people so that they realize their vital role in the chain of memory
- Yom Hashoah Committees, to integrate young people into commemorations by having them be escorts for survivors, having them speak for those who have passed, and having them stand up and be recognized for their willingness to accept the legacy of memory
You can help bring this about in 10 minutes on this web site. Please return to the convenient feedback form. You can either provide the requested information, or schedule a time for us to phone you to discuss your thoughts on the subject and answer questions. Here is what we are requesting:
- Add your name to the List of Endorsers
- Introduce us to three rabbis who should know about the campaign
- Connect us to your area's Yom Hashoah Committee
That's it, we'll take it from there. Please note that the Remember Us Project and all its activities are completely non-denominational (click on the link to Participating Communities), and provided without any cost to participants or synagogues.Please return to the Yizkor & Yom Hashoah form.